Re: Transputer - schools

This is yeoman work, a mighty step forward, especially for demos. My quibble (and it's really with the Transterpreter) is, to quote you: "it is just not fast on a Raspberry Pi." I think I saw that coming after looking at some Transterpreter commstime results. I don't think it is an essential characteristic.

This is probably a lot of work, but would it be possible to revisit the Transterpreter? In the INMOS Compiler Writer's Guide, it shows the assembly commands coming in structured clumps, each corresponding to a very clear occam primitive. Since occam is such a flat language, it ought to be possible to go through output of the occam compiler and recognize these clumps, thus decompiling to the point of exposing the essential process and communication structure. This semi-source could then be implemented on the target using its native capabilities, once target-specific techniques are designed to do the short list of critical occam primitives. Maybe blocks of pure sequential code could even use LLVM, if it could be purified of its stackiness. It should certainly be possible to map a "PRI PAR" onto interrupt code.

I would expect that could give a speed improvement of tenfold or more. It ought to work especially well on chips like the XMOS and the Adapteva, whose primitives are already very close.

Larry