To: "Barry Cook" <Barry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Denis A Nicole" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: Inline VALOF

Barry Cook wrote:
All,

Perhaps we should be selective in applying Occam's razor - there are
many things that are more 'complex' than they need to be but that
'complexity' introduces convenience which is of more value.

Examples:
- Differential calculus - we COULD stick with "the limit as x tends to
zero"
- High-level programming languages - we COULD do it all with assembler
- occam (see above)

Barry,

Aren't you forgetting the "without necessity/ unless there is a good
reason" (apologies for my pigeon translation) qualification in "the
razor". So I don't think your examples are applicable, are they?

Adrian