Python books

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a book on Python from which a *complete novice*
can learn decent programming skills?  I've looked through tutorials
on the web with titles like "Python for the Absolute Beginner" but
found them somewhat dry - they miss a careful explanation on types,
variables and sequence that leaves those without such concepts
floundering.  I'm looking for something that teaches *programming*
and uses Python just as a vehicle for this.  Is there something
out there that does this?

Many thanks,

Peter.