RE: Occam-Tau - the natural successor to Occam-Pi - or is there one already?

Caveat – I am not a real programmer, so my views should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I came to Occam from programming real time systems in assembler on 2-4k ROM memory systems. What I liked about the simplicity of Occam was that with PAR and PRI I was easily able to describe the things that I had had to write management routines to do previously – the typical car engine controller has foreground tasks driven by the engine turning and background tasks, such as engine temperature, throttle setting.

If we want a parallel programming language for kids to learn with, in my view it should be simple and have the basic concepts – ideally we would have a language with two variants – a subset for learning and an enhanced version for serious programming.

Tony Gore

Aspen Enterprises Limited email  tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx

tel +44-1278-761000  FAX +44-1278-760006  GSM +44-7768-598570 URL: www.aspen.uk.com

Registered in England and Wales no. 3055963 Reg.Office Aspen House, Burton Row, Brent Knoll, Somerset TA9 4BW.  UK