Re: Occam-Tau - the natural successor to Occam-Pi - or is there one already?

Ian,

I'm in total agreement with you on OOP, and many standard programmers (ones we meet at the San Diego Hacker Meetup) are coming around to our point of view, especially the language writers. The most annoying thing about OOP is that they have "borrowed" a lot of terms (like "component") which should intuitively apply to our constructs, and abusively redefined them to fit their world of mere namespace manipulations.

What we need to do, I think, is analyze the utility of OOP, or its apparent utility, so that we can provide a substitute (in the economic sense). "Code reuse" is a chimera, but namespace reuse is real, and management likes it, because it makes their task easier, or appears to (e.g. all those official name-strings connected by dots). Ignoring side effects and maintenance overhead makes it easier to plan projects (if not to execute them). The silent side effect is actually essential in spyware and "clicks" which send your information to a concealed third party. More constructively, OOP is the way graphical user interfaces are done: the apparent process-like independence of different "windows" is really a code tangle where anything touches anything.

It might be of interest (in reference to the last point) to figure out how "apps" are done for the iPhone or other trendy devices. But I personally tend to throw up my hands at UI programming and retreat to firmware and algorithms. I think the touchstone, the point we need to defend at all costs, is the in-principle software/hardware equivalence of processes. The beauty of this is that it's nestable, and if absolute remains inviolate no matter how many levels of programming you have, or how widely separated the programmers. Thus, we in the Dust project have devised a way of expressing channel transmission of data references as exchange of data "containers" that could physically be expressed as "sneakernet."

Moving from that foundation, and being open-minded about things like namespace reuse, I think it will prove fairly easy to replicate a lot of the niches that are now occupied by OOP. This would result in programming becoming equivalent in respect of reliability to other kinds of engineering, and the economic value would be immense.

Larry