Re: protocol standards that use formal specification of behavior?

Alan,

Your comments below clarify things a bit. Given that (to quote from the JAUS
reference architecture), "Messaging is the only accepted method used to
communicate between components", I would think that CSP would be an obvious
choice for formalization. Certainly more suitable than things like "UMLish
state machines".

Afraid I'm not aware of any actual standards work that's been done at the SOA
level with CSP. However, there has been some recent work in this area that you
may want to look at:

W.L. Yeung has a couple of publications on modelling and verifying web services
using CSP

* W. L. Yeung, Ji Wang, Wei Dong, "Verifying Choreographic Descriptions of Web
Services Based on CSP," scw, pp. 97-104,  IEEE Services Computing Workshops
(SCW'06),  2006.

* W. L. Yeung, "Mapping WS-CDL and BPEL into CSP for Behavioural Specification
and Verification of Web Services", ECOWS06, Dec. 2006

And none other than Bill Roscoe himself has done a little work on applying CSP
to web services and SOA:

* Lee Momtahan, ,Andrew Martin and  A. W. Roscoe, "A taxonomy of web services
using CSP", Programming Research Group Research Report RR-04-22,
http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/publications/tr/rr-04-22.html

Some related work by Peter Wong may also be of interest:

* Peter Y.H. Wong and Jeremy Gibbons, "A Process Algebraic Approach to Workflow
Verification", http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/work/peter.wong/pub/pattern.pdf

And finally, although not directly related to SOA, Robert Allen's work on
applying CSP to software architecture may be illuminating:

* Robert Allen, "A Formal Approach to Software Architecture", CMU PhD Thesis,
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/able/www/paper_abstracts/rallen_thesis.htm

Cheers,
Allan

--