Re: Ravenscar profile and occam on the transputer

All (+ Peter Morris)

7. apr. 2017 kl. 18.46 skrev Lawrence Dickson <tjoccam@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

All,

In [2], Peter Morris says,

And once one has implemented CSP channels, one can implement ALTs by polling ready flags in the channels.

Does “polling" mean what it customarily means, trying again and again until an OK is found? If so, I would disagree that the described approach is a substitute for occam ALT, which does not poll.

In the context of «timing analysis» I don’t think he would have thought of busy polling. I have added Peter Morris on the list. Peter, are you there? Øyvind

Therefore, I disagree that an “occam Ravenscar” profile is superfluous. However, for schedulability it must be occam + priority. Given absolute high priority as found on the Transputer, and cycle-counted limits on high-priority code between deschedulings, a round-robin scheduler can guarantee response within a known count of cycles.

It’s either one or the other, isn’t it: 1.) occam Ravenscar or 2.) schedulability analysis and guaranteed response time? Or is there a possibility of both in a case? Øyvind

Larry