Appeal for information ...

Dear occam-com and java-threads,

This is an appeal for information.  Please would those of you who have
been using any of the *ideas* and materials coming from our group at Kent:

  - the occam-pi language;
  - the KRoC compiler, libraries and CCSP multicore scheduler;
  - the libraries for Java (JCSP), C (CCSP), C++ (C++CSP) and Haskell
    (CHP) providing the CSP-occam-pi concurrency model;
  - the teaching materials for the above;
  - algorithms (e.g. for fast resolution of general choice),
    formal models (e.g. for mobile channels), architecture (e.g.
    for complex and emergent systems, operating systems, multicore
    scheduling), verification techniques (e.g. integration of model
    checking with programming language), etc.

let us know what you have been doing?  Please tell us if it has saved you
(or your company/university) any time and/or money?  Please tell us if
it has inspired (or is about to inspire!) aspects of your own work?
[Of course, those with whom we are in regular contact need not reply!]

The reason for this appeal will be known to UK academics.  All University
departments (in all subjects) in the UK are currently being assessed
in something called the "Research Excellence Framework" (REF).  20%
of this assessment depends on the "Impact" of research going back to
January 1993, but with the period of impact running from January 2008
to today.  The meaning of "Impact" is not fully understood ... but
would certainly include use by industry of the ideas and products of
research from the department and, probably, research and teaching in
other universities/colleges/schools that it has triggered.

The impact of the REF will be the allocation of recurrent funding for
staff across the country.  This will have a knock-on impact on the kinds
of research that will be undertaken in future years.  So, if you would
like us to continue doing what we have been doing ... please let us
know (*soon*) what you have been doing ... and whether our work has had
any positive impact!

Thank you very much,

Peter Welch.