Re: Occam-Tau - the natural successor to Occam-Pi - or is there one already?

Dear all,

I reluctantly added a single priority level to the transputer - at the
time the economics seemed to support this. But I'm still not sure.

Today, I'm sure the economics doesn't support the complexity
and overheads of priority schedulers, interrupts etc. The
hardware event-handling on the XMOS cores is faster than
anything an interrupt-based system can deliver - and
much easier to design with - here's a link:

https://www.xmos.com/download/public/Benchmark-Methods-to-Analyze-Embedded-Processors-and-Systems%28X7638A%29.pdf?support=1

Even for a single low-end core, this approach will easily
out-perform a conventional interrupt system.

With a lot of cores, as Larry has said, the event-handling will be
at the edge of the system. The core of the system will be running
parallel communication structures but - as I said in the
presentation - these have to be designed to ensure
efficient parallel communication flows.

Best wishes

David