RE: Race condition...

Hi Denis

I wasn't referring to the Prius case but the general accelerator problem.

What I also used to do was to digitally filter all signal inputs to reduce spurious signals and interference.

Ian
>> wrote that using the brake switch made it into a safety component. This would be true if it was critical and used for braking; however, used as a secondary signal it is less critical, and as I cited it would only be critical if both the accelerator signal AND the brake signal failed simultaneously.

I also used to build in physical limits. For example, I would take measurements on how fast someone could actually depress the accelerator pedal, then (say) double it for someone being really quick, and then take this as the maximum throttle change rate. There are a large number of parameters that have physical limits on them.

By the way, the issue of using the brake signal may well come from another sensor these days, but somewhere I recently read that other manufacturers were using a braking sensor to override the accelerator. My 9 year old A-class has a manual gearbox and a box of electronics controlling the clutch; hitting the brake disengages the clutch, and this is pretty safety critical.

Tony Gore
email  tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx
tel +44-1278-761000  FAX +44-1278-760006  GSM +44-7768-598570
Aspen Enterprises Limited
Registered in England and Wales no. 3055963 Reg.Office Aspen House, Burton Row, Brent Knoll, Somerset TA9 4BW.  UK