Re: Quote from CACM paper: cost of parallelism

Perhaps (I was not familiar with Helios or why it was "crashing"), but look at the posting from Bob Gustafson that crossed yours. The essence of an MMU (or MPU) is that "crashing" is still going on, but hidden. It's possible to do complex programming right, without relying on crutches like protected mode. That (to quote Ruth) is our real "challenge." It will be addressed more cleanly if all the scaffolding becomes visible, which is what I liked about uClinux.

I did Transputer-like code on a DOS PC (no MMU or MPU) including user IO fifteen years ago, in a complex system including 19 Transputers, radar, PC, etc, and it ran perfectly. It wasn't really that hard, either. You just had to actually do a design without assumptions like "memory is infinite." Today's embedded devices are as powerful as full-up systems then, so this could be developed with ease for them, especially if something like Linux is pinch-hitting for all the UI toys. Even if you hobbled it by making it an interpreted language, it would still be fast enough - especially if the interpreted language had the ability of extending channels that connect to alien programs and devices at full speed.

Larry

On Oct 20, 2009, at 7:42 PM, Eric Verhulst wrote:

Sounds a bit like Helios running on the transputer at the time, .... when it wasn't crashing. This type of software is very optimistic when it comes to running it without a MMU.

From: Mailing_List_Robot [mailto:sympa@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lawrence Dickson
Sent: dinsdag 20 oktober 2009 21:23
To: Espen Suenson; Jon Simpson
Cc: occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Quote from CACM paper: cost of parallelism

Hi all,

After sending the last rant, I made what is possibly a relevant discovery. uClinux is a version of Linux for microprocessors without virtual memory. If you read the details of what they do, e.g. in

http://free-electrons.com/doc/uclinux_introduction.odp

it sounds very much like the static structures that are friendly to our stuff. And this is up and running, with a lively and responsive list, and hosts Linux (at least up to Debian Woody) for user stuff. I bet it could be brought up on the Cell and be made to jump through some pretty fancy hoops, including a genuinely stackless embedded structure.

Larry

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Larry Dickson <tjoccam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

It's a pain having to patch things together from several emails in a text editor; perhaps someone can suggest a better way? I'll start wit Ruth's comments as they were the biggest "downer" and yet if you look at them in reverse they suggest the solution that has been evading us.

Ruth Ivimey-Cook <ruth.Ivimey-Cook@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And this is where I get disappointed. While I can see where Larry is coming from (I too appreciated the ability to program on bare metal on the transputer) it is no longer practical with the sorts of systems being designed and the nature of the solutions being demanded because ultimately, you end up having to reinvent the wheel. The OS constructs, in the main, are aimed at (a) supporting legacy apps and (b) providing a kit of parts to make applications easier to write.

So you let them do what they are good at, and isolate them in application-land where the bloat is allowed to be as bloatful as it wishes. This is basically what VMWare and the like do. And, from another point of view, interpreted languages like Python. In that fenced-off area, others can develop ultra-complex apps until their heads explode, but on our side of the wall, we do what we do best. I'm even trying to start a small business doing this.

> While I can agree that you can eliminate that in some embedded environments, your can't do so on mainstream desktop OSs, which are the ones feeling the pinch right now.

I think "mainstream desktop OSs" are a lost cause. Let someone else go crazy trying to program them! Even economically, it is becoming harder and harder to justify the upgrades, since people can do all they need to with Windows XP. Moore's Law has simply won. Netbooks are good enough.

> From my (these days) very "industrial" view, the place to start is simply where we are - namely, often large apps of mainly C code written by various authors over many years, with tight deadlines and demanding management. Pretending that we have the luxury of redesigning either OS's or the raw silicon is fairy tales, not because we can't see why it might be useful or interesting, but because (in the case of the million-odd line codebase I'm thinking of) it would probably take over 5 years for a competent team of people. We don't have that time to spend, let alone the money to pay people. Moreover, in many cases we are also constrained tightly by our own customers, who say things like "we'd love your code, but it must run on weird processor X using niche compiler Y". We have to be able to write the code using very portable constructs. No gcc-isms here, I'm afraid.

Obviously, if the problem is defined this way, we lose. Therefore pick a different battle. In many cases, the particulars of an "industrial" problem are, at the core, friendly to our approach [see my RJIT patent, US Patent 7,389,507], and you just introduce lines of communication between the million-odd line codebase to a small thing that does real stuff faster and better. Of course it will have to be written in C, which is another problem because of C's bad design, but that is a task for another day.

> I was hoping, in posting the original email, that people might be able to say "well, if you do things *this* way..."  but it seems not.
> At present the general computing world is being forced by the scruff of its neck to face parallel programming head on. I believe it won't be long before even the current luxury of true shared memory will be left behind and we'll all be in NUMA land. For CSP to be part of that new world depends on proponents being able to provide usable solutions to the problems real people face.
>
> A year or so ago, I was hopeful that the CSP community would be ready to take up this challenge, but I'm becoming less hopeful now.

A command to gallop off in all directions and solve all problems at once is not a "challenge" but a guaranteed defeat. The CSP community CANNOT take it up. It needs to be broken up into doable tasks. Here's one for starters: a good CSP-based interpreted language in the Python mold. It is much needed. Stackless Python, for example, is a misnomer that abandoned being stackless and is now thoroughly mired in the OO-tainted constructs typical of standard developments: