Re: Concurrent programming coming to JavaScript

It's probably worth noting that Will Clinger (mentioned in the extract of
Brendan's blog) did a bunch of work on the Actor model of concurrency. So it's
possible that's the direction that Javascript will end up going for
concurrency. The Actor model shares a lot of ideas with CSP, but also has a few
key differences, e.g. asynchronous rather than rendezvous communications, and
message delivery based on the identity of the receiver rather than via channels
(Erlang, for those familiar with it, uses a message-passing approach along the
lines of the Actor model).

Of course, it's pretty straightforward to build a CSP-like channel-based
rendezvous messaging system on top of an Actor-style system, so Tom's idea of a
CSP library should be feasible even if Javascript does take the Actor route
instead of the CSP one. Either approach would be a vast improvement over
threads with shared state.

Allan

--
Allan McInnes <amcinnes@xxxxxxxxxx>