RE: Transputer Development System, 2006? (aka Sony PS/3 runs multi-core Linux)

Perhaps a little off topic on this one.  Myself and Jon Kerridge were
looking at Intel's descriptions and plans with multi-core.  From what we
can gather, their plan is to remove any need to develop parallel
systems, and let the system try and work out the best approach.  It
seems Intel believes that parallel development is too difficult.  Sigh.

Kevin Chalmers
Research Student
School of Computing
Napier University
Edinburgh

http://www.transterpreter.org/papers/dimmich-jacobsen-jadud-cpa-2006.pdf

> Running on top of Yellow Dog would be the easy way in; Damian is
> exploring code distribution and code generation for multi-core targets
> like the Cell, and (currently) has 9 separate instances of the runtime
> environment on a single CPU.
>
> See the paper for more details; also, since Damian is on this list, he
> might have additional comments or be able to address more specific
> questions that you or others might have.
>
> Cheers,
> Matt
>
> Andrew Delin wrote:
> > Team, I thought this was interesting.
> >
> > Why might we be interested in the release of Sony's PS/3 games
console?

> > Because it contains a multi-core Cell processor - and can run Linux.
> >
> > Fred and others - I am wondering if it is possible to release a KROC
> that targets this platform and takes advantage of the multiple
processors
> inside the new Sony console. This would give a true parallel machine
> run Occam-Pi. It could be used as a modern 'TDS' with several cores to
run
> on.
> >
> > Nine cores is very tempting - and rather cheap. I understand the YD
> Linux distribution doesn't fully use all cores, but perhaps an
Occam-Pi
> build could? If we can piggy back on the interest in Linux, perhaps we
> might get more interest in the process-oriented-design philosophy
we've
> discussed on this group.

This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept liability for any loss
or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the
University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.