Re: waking up processes on external input

When I simulated Transputer functionality in DOS circa 1995, I was able to
get pretty good response on an 8MHz HP palmtop by doing the "primitives"
(link comms, i.e. serial, Transputer B008, and printer, and timeouts) as
interrupts using ISRs written in assembly. This worked the principle Barry
mentioned in reverse, and got pretty good response, relatively not as good
as the Transputer but far better than modern processors. The problem is
that modern OSs are designed to prevent this kind of thing. It worked in
DOS because DOS doesn't care and is completely anarchic.

Larry Dickson