RE: TechEd 2006 -- "parallelism is the new OO"

At a guess, is Java not doing what Chen suggests in the post, and
reducing the stack size for each thread?  I'm fairly sure that Java
uses a one-to-one threading model on Windows, so I don't see how else
it could be doing it.

Therefore I ask the question, does .NET need a 1 MB stack size per
thread?  I think Neil has successfully answered this question right
here.  Java seems to manage quite well with its reduced stack size.

This is probably getting off topic a bit; we all know that threading is
not the best solution.  As to Mac OS X, I believe it is based somewhat
on Linux, so likely the same problems exist.  I do know that different
versions of Linux also employ different threading techniques.  One of my
fellow students was using Mono on Free BSD, and because of the
differences his .NET program would not run.  Other Linux and Windows
platforms were fine, and I believe the problems are now resolved.

Kevin Chalmers
Research Student
School of Computing
Napier University