RE: [Fwd: Re: my web site (fwd)]

Title: RE: [Fwd: Re: my web site (fwd)]

I'm not sure if anyone would be interested, but we've recently developed a .NET library based on JCSP.  The pertanance to this is that there is a Python based REPL for .NET out there (Iron Python) and I have done some playing about with it.  Specifically, we designed the library in such a way that makes it a little more REPL friendly.  For example, we can create a small number printer system like so:

num = Numbers()
printer = Printer()
num.Out = printer.In
printer.Postfix = "/n"
Parallel(num, printer).Run()

All the channels are hidden inside the Plug and Play components.  This also scales up for processes with multiple inputs and outputs:

num1 = Numbers()
num2 = Numbers()
num3 = Numbers()
plex = Plex()
num1.Out = plex.In
num2.Out = plex.In
num3.Out = plex.In
printer = Printer()
plex.Out = printer.In
printer.Postfix = "\n"
Parallel(num1, num2, num3, plex, printer).Run()

As I said, its more of a toy than anything, but it can be a little bit fun just plugging components together like this.  We have also added an ability to create process like methods, although this is very dirty:

def Consumer(in):
  def Con()
    for i in range(10):
      print in.Read()
  return Con
def Producer(out):
  def Prod()
    for i in range(10):
      out.Write(i)
  return Prod
Parallel(Consumer(chan.In), Producer(chan.Out))

This is by far not an ideal solution, and Python was never meant for this, nor even .NET.  It would probably woudn't be much to write an REPL that converted occam style code to this, but I don't think its a good idea.  For one its incredibly slow in comparison to the Transterpreter (ranging from 5 to 10 times so), and secondly seems like a bit of a hack to me.  It would be nice having an occam REPL, or something similar.  All in all, it has been a nice little distraction doing this.

As for the future of the library, I'm not sure.  We are presenting a paper this year, but it looks like some students from Compenhagen have also done a .NET library, and theirs includes networking capability.  I'll hopefully have a chat to them and the conference and see what they've done.  Also, there is a Java solution to this in the form of Bean Shell.  This lets you compile Java code line by line so JCSP can be used (could never get the networked stuff to work unfortunatly).  Hopefully this will be helpful to some.

Kevin Chalmers
Research Student
Napier University