RE: Occam and the parallel Playstation

All,

What got me thinking the Cell might be a natural for POP is the Blachford
series -

www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell0_v2.html

That's version 2, fixed after arstechnica's Hannibal attacked it on some
details, but it still has the main points that attracted my attention:
supposedly it requires "concrete programming" and has a very local
resource structure. This should be extremely friendly to a CSP/occam
architecture, and not to much else.

Damian, I'd be really interested in being kept in the loop on occam for
the Cell. (I did try getting the head of research at Sony US interested in
a similar project, and he was interested, but it did not pan out.) I think
you're exactly on the right track to use interrupts (and, I presume, DMA)
to implement the primitives. I did something similar long ago with the DOS
PC. A "default harness" that exploits the fastest characteristics of the
Cell should be possible, if Blachford is at all on the right track.

Larry Dickson