From: owner-occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Richard Loosemore
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 5:29 PM
To: Occam Family
Subject: A Hardware Question

Okay folks, I have a question about buying parallel hardware.

If I were wanting to buy hardware today, and I wanted fine-grained
(-ish) parallelism, what would I do?  (Oh, btw I am asking you folks because
I really would want to run occam on it).

My problem is that I don't think that an OTS cluster of workstations linked
by fast ethernet would be good enough, as you might able to see from the
following specs:

Processes that were numerous (typically 1,000 to 10,000) but fairly compact
(say a thousand bytes of code each, perhaps more).

Communications that are small packet-size, with frequent exchanges (does me
no good to save 'em up and send a book-sized transfer, I need lots of little
packets going back and forth).

Not much locality, so any one of my processes can want to talk to any other.

I am focussed on high-level issues these days, so I am out of touch with the
hardware that is available.  Does anyone know if there is stuff out there
that would be appropriate?

I should tell you that my preference is to use Macintosh hardware, for
programming and interface reasons, but I realise that that might keep me
separated from occam for a long, long time.... :-(

Any thoughts, suggestions or hoots of laughter would be accepted graciously.

Richard Loosemore.