Re: Emperor's new clothes - ACM followup.

I think Jim and Andrzej both missed Dyke's point. Of course tools like
OO have their value IN RESTRICTED AREAS: for instance, OO is excellent
(apparently) for point-and-click menu applications with lots of
screens. It was a "tool to manipulate data" that bollixed it.

Perl does offer the capability of paralleling data flow processes in
a few lines, as my son discovered when debugging a phone company's
data choking problem. He wrote a script that simulated thousands
of simultaneous users. It was easier than C or bash.

OO is so knowledge-centralized that using it on any assembly of
truly independent components tends to suffocate the project in
complexity. I have been involved in at least two projects that
ground to a halt this way (one was revived in C, the other in
Perl). A data flow design with truly independent (running)
components is not only quickly completed, but also documents itself
for the developer entering 6 months later (I'm doing exactly this
at the moment). Because all information passes through channels
instead of hierarchies.

Larry Dickson