Re: CPA: Where to publish?

>> ...and we still need a book. I'm willing to contribute two chapters,
>> garnered and adapted from my 1995 one. Any more volunteers?
>
>From Dyke...
>I'll be glad to help - since I should be on sabbatical starting
>January 2003 (more or less).  I did have an outline of a book once -
>I'll see if I can find it.
We missed the chance to talk this through at CPA '01.
I think it'd be best to aim at the academic market for
engineering/embedded software engineering and computing/concurrent &
systems programming. I'd suggest an outline something like...
Title: Object-Oriented Systems Engineering with Communicating Process
Architecture
  1  Intro CSP
  2  Programming Communicating Processes (syntax + semantics of occam,
transforms, etc)
  3  CPA Design (patterns, comparison with classic OOP)
  4  Deadlock avoidance (theory, design rules, tools (FDR, Jeremy's
checker, etc))
  5  Applications
Chapter 6 from my PP/CPA book could form the basis of chapter 4.
Just a suggestion...

>A book that a faculty member could pick up and teach from immediately
>would be nice - sufficient theory background, solid practical background,
>great examples, a CD with running examples in Java & C/C++ and corresponding
>CSP descriptions, a version of FDR that will run under Windows and handle
>any problem up to a certain size. At least one industrial-strength example
>should be included.
Here, I disagree. There are so many books already on Java, we'd be lost
in the crowd. And personally...I hate it. Every day I send my thanks to
the stars that a move here to use it as a teaching language was defeated
(5 keywords to define a constant, need to comprehend OO before being able
to express a simple algorithm,...)

Also I doubt FS would be keen to give away FDR in a book, but then they
must use something for teaching themselves, and it might strike up new
markets.....

Students at the door...nowhere to hide!
Ian

Dr. Ian Robert East

Room T2.10, Turing Building                      0 (44) 1865 484529
School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences
Oxford Brookes University
Wheatley Campus
Oxford OX33 1HX                                ireast@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

2001/2 Term 1 Consultation hours: