RE: Aliasing and Garbage Collection

Hi

Locating and plugging memory leaks in C/C++ is HARD.
I suspect that is comparable to getting concurrency
right without a discipline like CSP. Java's use of garbage
collection is a BIG improvement.  But, if there's a good
algorithm for distributed GC, I'm not aware of it.

So, here it is: Can CSP be augmented to prove the absence
of open-ended memory requirements the same way it can
show the absence of deadlock?  Outlawing aliasing seems
heavy handed.  But if you can show (prove) that allocations
have a limited lifetime, it would mean that the garbage collector
will never be invoked. -jc