Re: Name Change for WoTUG?

> From: Alastair Allen <eng267@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: occam-com@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Name Change for WoTUG?
> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:53:57 -0500 (EST)
>
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:34:09 -0800 Lawrence Dickson
> <tjoccam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I don't like totally disconnectiong the acronym from the name. Too
> > confusing. A small change in the acronym (as often seems to be done to
> > professional journals):
> >

> I would actually like to get away from the acronym.  I have
> always thought "World" sounds rather strange.
> ["International" would be better.]  And "User Group" is
> helpful for some people, but not for others.
>
> Alastair
>
> ----------------------
> Dr Alastair R Allen
> Aberdeen University
> a.allen@xxxxxxxxxx
> Tel: +44 1224 272501; Fax: +44 1224 272497

Your points are well taken, but a complete change in acronym still breaks
the continuity. Possibly a "slash" is the solution, i.e.

ICDA / WoTUG (International Concurrent Designers Association / ...)

The end part is not irrelevant, since the Transputer may be in the process
of being reinvented. It would be ironic if we abandoned that term at the
exact moment it became a generic designation for a hot new design module!
Also missed in most of the suggestions, is the name "occam". This is not
something I think we need to be ashamed of. (Although I just got finished
reading an article saying William of Ockham is the ultimate philosophical
father of most of the evils of the modern world!!!)

There is an unfortunate tendency for these names (like names of
businesses) to turn into something completely generic and meaningless in
an attempt to be more inclusive. Then you have to talk to somebody in the
"in group" to find out what it is really all about.

Larry Dickson