Re: OCCAM, JOYCE, SUPERPASCAL AND JAVA

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Lawrence Dickson wrote:

>    I haven't any access to Per Brinch Hansen's papers so I am working
> off your summaries. It LOOKS (correct me if I'm wrong) as if Prof
> Hansen's technique is equivalent to a pool of instances of each
> process - an instance gets deactivated at process termination but
> remains in existence to be reactivated at later need in an unrelated
> spawn. Using occam-style software-hardware analogy, this would be
> equivalent to addressable hardware modules, say "single level process
> nesters" and "single parenthesis parsers" wired together to make a
> parallel compiler. You could hot-add new hardware modules but not
> hot-remove them.

I think you've got it right.  The important thing is that the "pools" are
not allocated until runtime, and each can grow without bound,but cannot
shrink.

PS I've just reused the addressee list---sorry for any duplications.

Denis A Nicole                      WWW:   http://www.hpcc.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~dan
High Performance Computing Centre   Email: dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
University of Southampton           Phone: +44 1703 592703
UK.                                 Fax:   +44 1703 593903