OCCAM, JOYCE, SUPERPASCAL AND JAVA

To: P.H.Welch@xxxxxxxxx
From: pbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: b.m.cook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, java-threads@xxxxxxxxx,
  occam-com@xxxxxxxxx, pbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 22 May 1999
Subject: OCCAM, JOYCE, SUPERPASCAL AND JAVA

Dear Peter,

Here is a partial response to your email of May 20:

When I first heard about Java it was immediately obvious
to me that it was being marketed as a consumer product
(rather than a scientific notation). So I paid no attention
to it for several years. When I finally got around to
looking at Java's parallelism I concluded that its designers
were amateurs who were completely out of their depth.

To avoid being asked by anonymous reviewers to tone it
down, I decided to publish my criticism in SIGPLAN Notices
[17]. SIGPLAN Notices limits all contributions to eight
pages. By coincidence that is exactly the length of my
article. Now, eight pages forced me to stick to one theme
only. So I carefully explained by example that Java never
got beyond my earliest ideas in parallel programming - and
got them all wrong! I was not advocating the use of these
early ideas today. If I had had more space, I would have
explained that the final monitor concept in Concurrent
Pascal did not use waiting loops [2]. I would also have
liked to point out that Java threads are beyond repair in
the sense that they make interference check impossible in
general [14]. So forgive me for omitting occam this time.

I have, however, experimented with the CSP concepts and
occam for many years at Syracuse University:

>From 1987 to 1989 I designed the programming language
Joyce, based on CSP and Pascal, and implemented it on an
Encore Multimax with 18 processors connected to a shared
memory [3-8]. Joyce supports both input and output polling.

In 1989, a Computing Surface with 48 T800 transputers was
installed in my lab at Syracuse. I spent five years using
this wonderful multicomputer to write parallel occam
programs for computational science [9-11, 15].

By 1994 I had also designed and implemented the parallel
publication language SuperPascal based on CSP and occam
[12-16].

In contrast to occam, Joyce and SuperPascal both support
recursive process activation. It took me thirty years to
solve the problem of reclaiming the storage of parallel
recursion without garbage collection [16]. But now that the
problem has been solved I would expect future programming
languages to support efficient parallel recursion as a
matter of course.

So I am well aware of the advantages of occam. I was,
however, unaware of the recent work involving occam and
its successors. This is partly my fault since I don't read
as much about parallel programming as I used to. However,
it also seems to me that the internet makes it too easy to
communicate with a small group of insiders and makes it
less attractive to publish papers in widely read journals,
such as IEEE Computer and SIGPLAN Notices.

You were selected to receive my paper because I found a
Web page of WoTUG Committee Members by chance. Even so, I
had to look you up individually to find your mailing
addresses. The internet is perhaps not always the best way
to reach a wider audience. (Alta Vista found 185 Web pages
for "parallel java" and 8693 pages for "occam".)

I would encourage you (and your fellow occam fans) to do two
things:

* Write letters to the editor of SIGPLAN Notices and express
  your own opinions about Java's parallelism.

* Present your arguments in a carefully reasoned papers for
  computer scientists in general.

All the best,

Per Brinch Hansen