RE: Dynamic Priority

What about this?

Design (index free?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The expression {P0} > {P2,P3} > {P1,P4,P5} can be drawn as a undirected
graph with {P0}, {P2, P3} and {P1, P4, P5} as nodes connected by arcs that
are labelled by ">".

This graph can also be represented by {P0} > ({P2} = {P3}) > ({P1} = {P4} =
{P5}) which can be drawn as an undirected graph with {P1},..,{P5} as nodes
connected by arcs that are labelled by ">" or "=".

This way we could extend our existing data-flow design with priority
relation arcs. I belief that indexes at this level of the conceptual design
can (should) be hidden and can (should) being added later at implementation
level (maybe by the compiler or scheduler). One press on the button and the
PAR will be generated with indexes we do not want to know ... or do we want
to know the indexes?

For example, in {P0} > {P2,P3} > {P1,P4,P5} the indexes
[10,1267,1267,100034,100034,100034] would be valid. I guess the indexes must
be in range of the number of processes (here [0..n-1] with n = 6).

General Ordered Relation
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A priority is a precedence relation between processes in terms of greater
than ">" or equal to "=". The relations ">" or "=" between processes can be
added to the design by some reasons of timing constraints or precedence
constraints. As long as the relation is valid I do not want to know the
indexes. I belief, this is conceptual and that makes reasoning about
precedence relations (or priorities) much simpler.

The compiler or scheduler can do the hard work.

Say, pri(Pi) is the priority of Pi and index(Pi) is the index of Pi in the
PAR construct.

pri(P1) > pri(P2) means that P1 has a higher priority as P2.

Or pri(P1) > pri(P3) is equal to index(P1) < index(P2), which means the
index of P1 is lower than the index of P2.

index(P1) < index(P2) is equal to index(P1) = index(P2) - x, where x > 0 (x
does not always have to be 1). We could generate our priority indexes by
some algorithm. The indexes can be anything that fits the scheduler
implementation as long as the priority relations maintain valid.

PAR and PRI PAR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let P1 and P2 be concurrent processes, then

pri(P1) > pri(P2) is

PRI PAR
  P1
  P2

pri(P1) = pri(P2) is

PAR
  P1
  P2

pri(P1) > pri(pri(P2) = pri(p3)) is the nested composition

PRI PAR
  P1
  PAR
    P2
    P3

The distinct compositions PRI PAR and PAR are very useful in this matter.

However, this may also correspond to

PAR (CHAN OF [x, x+y, x+y]) with x >= 0 and y > 0.
  P1
  P2
  P3

where we need to know x and y.

With our scheduler approach we create a new dispatcher process for each PRI
PAR constructs. The dispatcher manages the ready queue and running queue.
Processes in the PRI PAR construct will be assigned to different ready
queues represented by an 8-bits word. Processes in a PAR construct will be
assigned to the same ready queue of the parent dispatcher. It's simple, fast
and static. Again, the distinct compositions PRI PAR and PAR are very useful
in this matter.

Gerald.