Re: Lamport and toy languages

As I understand it Oyvind, UML is a design syntax
without a prescribed process. You use it as you
wish! It's trying to be "all things to all men" as
far as I can see. I haven't really formulated a
good reason as yet to agree or disagree with this
approach - but the world at large seems to like
it!

Paddy

Oyvind Teig wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I haven't read all the latest letters. But I am reading
> this book, and it seems like UML authors mean the same
> as "we" do:
>
>   "UML is phase independent, which means the same generic
>   language and the same diagrams are used to model different
>   things in different phases. It is up to the modeler
>   to decide the purpose and scope that a model should
>   cover."
>     UML Toolkit, Eriksson, Penker, Jown Wiley 1998
>     ISDN 0-471-19161-2
>     Page 31
>
> Cheers,
>
> Oyvind Teig, Autronica, Trondheim, Norway
> Oyvind.Teig@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Tel.: +47 73 58 12 68
> Fax.: +47 73 91 93 20
>
> My name starts with "Oslash":
> Øyvind

Dr. Paddy Nixon

Department of Computer Science  The Warden
Trinity College                 Trinity Hall
Dublin 2, Ireland               Dartry Road
Tel: (+353)-01-608-2666         Dublin 6, Ireland
Fax: (+353)-01-677-2204
Tel:(+353)-01-497-1772
Email: Paddy.Nixon@xxxxxxxxx
WWW: http://www.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/~pnixon/